Saturday, July 21, 2012

Lobster Roll (lunch), Riverhead, NY

After living on LI and going out to Montauk so many times, I have been very behind by not visiting Lunch (or Lobster Roll as its known).  I have passed the location out eat many times but usually not at lunch time.  I always forgot that there is another location in Riverhead that is much closer to get to.

I decided that I wanted to take a trip to the outlets and to experience having lunch at Lobster Roll.  Going out to Riverhead, the perfect itinerary to make is stopping at the outlets, than off to Briermere for a pie and ending you day at Lobster Roll for a bite to eat.  When we first got to the restaurant, I really liked how it was in a converted house.  We requested to sit outside and were promptly seated on the wood deck.  Lobster Roll is a casual hangout with a very beachy, laid back atmosphere.

Our waitress came to the table rather quickly and told us about the specials, including a drink called the Pink Fizzy, a pink lemonade and zinfandel drink topped with seltzer.  Of course I was tempted to order it, which I did, and my boyfriend ordered a lobster ale.  The service was a bit slow, granted it was not too packed in the restaurant, so that is something they can definitely work on.  After our drinks came, I decided to order a crabcake which was actually grilled not fried, very rare to find, and my boyfriend ordered the signature hot lobster roll.  The difference between the hot lobster roll and the cold one is that the cold one has mayo mixed in it while the hot is just fresh, steamed lobster.

Our food came promptly, much faster than the drinks.  My entree was actually a crabcake sandwich with one medium size crabcake on it, a bit over priced for what you got.  It also came on a white bun, something I am not too keen on, with a pickle, coleslaw and kettle chips.  I focused on eating the crabcake plain and it was not too bad.  I wouldn't really recommend ordering it to most though.  Even though it was grilled, a nice alternative, it was missing a lot of crab flavor.  I was not too impressed.

My boyfriend's lobster roll was a nice size but very very overpriced, which we didn't find out the price until the bill came ($25!).  He got a pickle and coleslaw and he said everything was good, very fresh.  But honestly for the price paid, not worth going to Lobster Roll for a lobster roll.

Overall, the atmosphere was nice, I enjoyed eating at the restaurant, but would I return again?  Probably not.  The food was greatly overpriced and service was below par.  Maybe the original one in Amagansett is better?  I am not too excited to really try.

No comments:

Post a Comment