Saturday, April 7, 2012

Don Juan Massapequa Park NY

So wanted to catch up the blog with two new restaurants, first post Don Juan.

After traveling out to Bay Shore with my boyfriend and his family, we headed back home and stopped at Don Juan for dinner at about 8pm.  The wait was minimum half an hour which is pretty long for that late at night around town, but that meant the food had to have been worth it.  I have been here once before with my boyfriend and while enjoying it, was not overly impressed.

Once our table was finally set, we were in a booth along the windows, nice location.  We decided to order drinks, I went with a frozen banana margarita while my boyfriend and his dad had a black and tan beer and his mom just had seltzer.  We wanted to order appetizers to munch on while we looked at the menu since everyone was pretty hungry.  Our waiter was very attentive which alleviated any anxiousness from having to stand up waiting for a table. (one negative for don juan, there is no waiting area for patrons and the bar is barely big enough to accommodate four people)

We went with jalapeno poppers {baked which was a bonus} and guacamole.  Free chips and salsa came to the table as well.  The salsa had a nice smooth consistency and a spicy flavor.  The chips were not too oily at all, a plus since a lot of mexican restaurants serve heavily fried chips.  I started with one jalapeno popper, something I never had.  It was very good, with a soft jalapeno inside with cheese and a nicely baked crust outside.  I did not like the creamy dip since it's not really my thing but everyone else said the dip was delicious.  Moving on to the guacamole.  I personally loved it, it had a very fresh avocado taste, not too over seasoned.  Others at the table thought it was just a little too much on the bland side but I thought that was the best part of it.

I settled on ordering a grilled chicken lime salad, my boyfriend and his dad ordered combo plates and his mom ordered the chicken fajiti plate.  My salad had a full avocado cut up, lettuce, tomato, grilled chicken and a special lime avocado dressing.  Overall it was very light and freshly flavored, but it just was missing a little something.  When I went to Texas I ordered a chicken avocado salad at an outdoor texmex restaurant.  They actually chopped and mashed everything together, making avocado really the base not lettuce, and that added something that I felt Don Juan's salad was missing.  My boyfriends combo platter had a quesadilla, burrito, and I believe tostado.  He really loved everything and I tried the cheese quesadilla which was soft and melted, not overly cheesy.  I also ate his refried beans, I think my salad with beans would have made a big difference in adding that missing something.  My boyfriends dad devoured his combo plate, loving everything on it and my boyfriend's mom really enjoyed her sizzling fajiti.  I also ordered a raspberry margarita this time, which was delicious.

After dinner it was very late so we chose not to have dessert with it.  But we lingered around for a bit, drinking our drinks and relaxing.  I think that Don Juan knows what they are doing when it comes to drinks.  The frozen margaritas are a must have, with so many flavor options, and they even have sangria as well.  They have a lot of beer and wine choices and most importantly, the margaritas and sangrias come in pitchers for a great price.

I definitely recommend making a trip to Don Juan for primarily drinks and than a little added mexican food.

No comments:

Post a Comment