Saturday, April 21, 2012

Rachels, Freeport again!

On the 13th, me and my boyfriend decided to make a trip to Rachels Waterside Grill in freeport, ny.  This is more of a staple for us so we did know what to expect. But we ordered different things to change it up.

Upon arriving we decided to get a couple of drinks at the bar and my boyfriend ordered a usual dirty martini while I asked the bartender for something with cherry in it.  The bartender was very attentive and even remembered us from last time so was very friendly and decided to make something not on the menu which had pear liqueur, vodka, seltzer and grenadine.  I don't remember the name but it was very tasty.  Our table was ready within five minutes of arriving but we relaxed for a bit before heading to our table.

We were seated in the screened in porch room, my favorite part of the renovations (very excited for when they open up the porch)  When we sat down we were planning on an appetizer but our hearts were set on oysters Rockefeller, which ended up being a special item during the summer.  As we snacked on the bread, my favorite the brown with the raisins, we decided to look a the wine list first (my favorite part of the meal).   First I asked about their amazing Sangria but still not in season (our waitress said so many people are requesting it they believe it will be back on the menu before memorial day, sooner than usual) We were pleasantly surprised that they just updated the list and all wines were extremely affordable, three pinot noirs were either 24 or 26 dollars, very cheap for pinot!  We ended up ordering the 99vines pinot noir, and I would highly suggest it! It was perfectly balanced with a nice red cherry taste.

Instead of appetizers, we realized all entrees came with soups or salads and that would be fine instead of an app.  I decided to order something new, the pan eared scallops over balsamic, sundried tomato, fresh mozz and artichoke risotto with a salad and their balsamic dressing, a high reco.  My boyfriend ordered the paella and a beef barley soup (the best is the soup that comes with your entree comes with the soups of the day). Our salad and soups came quickly and my boyfriend said the soup was very very good.  Afterwards, our entrees came with enough time in between to talk and enjoy our wine.  My scallops actually ended up coming out prepared the incorrect way and my boyfriend's paella came out hot and covered.  This was good because they were able to take my entree back and had my entree to the table in two minutes (my guess they just grabbed the wrong table's entree).  The pan seared scallops were delicious with a minimal amount of grease (the way I prefer).  But my risotto just tasted like seasoned colored rice, I was not too found of it.  I just ate the artichokes out of it.  The fresh mozzarella had more of a polly-o taste to it, but guess shouldn't expect too much since it was not an italian restaurant.  The most important part is the seafood at a seafood joint, and the scallops were not chewy at all.

But on the other hand, my boyfriend was sadly disappointed with his meal.  The shrimp were cooked well, but he just felt that all his seafood did not have the taste he would expect from a seafood restaurant.  He also did not enjoy his rice, but guess that's what you get for ordering a mexican meal at a seafood restaurant. (south of the border in wantagh is where it's at for paella).  After finishing up our food we were full, and set on stopping at ralphs for the first time since lent was over!, for dessert so left afterwards.

We did not leave with a negative impression just for the fact we have ordered many amazing things at rachels and it wasn't the food that brought disappointment, it was the fact we chose to order the wrong styled dishes at the restaurant.  But after receiving a complimentary bottle of wine certificate for my bday in the mail, we will definitely be back in may!

No comments:

Post a Comment