Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Besito, Roslyn, NY

I don't particularly love mexican but when I find a great mexican restaurant, I love going there.  That is how it is with South of the Border and one cute little restaurant I dined in in Old Town San Diego, Casa Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant.  I have heard much hype about Besito and since last week was restaurant week on LI, decided to give it a try with my boyfriend.

Thursday I had an interview in the city so I took the train straight to the Roslyn station for a 6:45 reservation.  We decided on Roslyn because since it was restaurant week, we figured the Huntington location may be a bit crazy and we just wanted a relaxing date night after I ran around in the city.  The roads were a bit confusing in the area but we made it to the shopping center Besito is in.  They have a cute outdoor patio area for eating but unfortunately it was raining so we headed inside.

The bar in directly in front when you arrive and it is a very nice size with a good vibe.  The atmosphere is a little darker, perfect for a date or a night out with the girls or some friends.  We were seated immediately in the back left corner, a corner booth.  This was probably the best seat in the house for a romantic dinner, away from everything and able to snuggle in the corner.  Right away we were brought the menus and some salsa and fresh chips to snack on.  The salsa was really good, a nice spicy bite with some jalapeno and the chips were not greasy at all.  I saw the great drink selections and had a feeling this was going to be a great experience.

I ordered their signature frozen margarita, the only frozen drink on the menu, while my boyfriend ordered their signature margarita on the rocks.  The difference mine had a house tequila and one other flavor while my boyfriend's had patron.  Before the drinks arrived I went to the bathroom, which was relatively small with two stalls, but clean.

Returning to the table my margarita was waiting for me.  It was definitely really string but tasted really good, perfect for a summer evening.  My boyfriends drink was a lot less strong tasting, for me would be more dangerous!  Restaurant week is known to have price fixed menus, app, dinner and dessert for 24.95.  Besito opens the whole menu for the deal, but a few entrees cost a bit more if ordered.  I decided I just wanted the chile rellenos al hongos (something new for me) and didn't want any appetizers so I didn't do the price fixed.  The only appetizer that really was appealing was the tableside guac, where they bring out a cart, make the guac in front of you to your flavor preference.  But since my boyfriend doesn't like guac, and it was not included in the price fixed, I went with the entree.  My boyfriend decided to order for an app the empanadas hongos, entree filete de res al chipotle.  I was excited to try my new food.

We had plenty time to actually enjoy our drinks before our food came out, something I prefer at restaurants.  I hate the feeling of someone rushing me and at Besito, you do not feel even close to rushed which is relaxing.  For foodies and those out there looking to find a restaurant that encourages the appreciation of food, this is your place.

First my boyfriend appetizer came, empanadas filled with wild mushrooms, goat cheese and salsa manzana (a green sauce).  He said it was really crispy and cooked perfect.  He let me try a little bit of the filling with the salsa and it tasted so so good, getting me excited for my dish since it was filled with similar ingredients.

As the food came out I ordered another frozen margarita.  The margarita came out within minutes, which was perfect since I was able to enjoy my food with the drink.  So on to my entree.  The description is poblano peppers filled with wild mushrooms, baby spinach, goat cheese pine nuts and topped with salsa ranchera.  It was topped with a big spoonful of goat cheese.  I cut a piece of the pepper and dipped it in the salsa.  It just melted in my mouth.  The combination of melted goat cheese with everything else was just amazing.  I was so pleasantly surprised with ordering something I usually do not.

My boyfriend's entree was grilled beef filet mignon, rajas, queso chihuahua and chipotle quemado salsa.  He said the meat was so tender and juicy, and had a nice smoky taste to it.  The portion was so big he was not able to finish it all but definitely was enticed to keep eating by just the smell.  He still had a dessert coming though and was ready to wait after the quality of the food so far.  He ordered a cheese flan with a chocolate fruit sauce, something we both never had.  I am not a big flan person but decided tonight was trying new things so why night.  It's presentation was very nice on the plant and we both took a small spoon full.  It actually was delicious.  The cheese was creamy but not over powering, with a nice balance with the sauce.  An unexpectedly yummy taste.  We hung around a bit after dessert, neither of us able to finish up everything.

Overall I would highly recommend Besito, though it is a little pricier for the normal restaurant.  But the food and drinks, service, atmosphere and overall experience make this mexican restaurant worth a little extra splurge to have a nice night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment